Sewing Progress

I had a post all planned for you yesterday. I was going to tell you all about the dress I had made, and how as I had made one before from the same pattern, the second one was easier, and I even pressed the skirt vent the right way this time. I was also going to comment that using a pattern for the second time and finding fabric that was only £2 a metre made making a dress cheaper than buying one at Primark. I had this all in my head.

Then a certain five year old brushed past my elbow as I had my lovely, huge, sharp scissors poised to take a notch out of the facing of the neckline. Had I written this post yesterday, it would have been a tale of woe, and almost finished dresses ending up in the bin.

Luckily, the previous thing to go in the bin was a big sheet of plastic, which was decidedly cleaner than the uneaten milky cereal, or the dust from the vacuum cleaner which were the other possibilities. That meant that when my brain made the transition from ‘Aaarghh, it’s ruined!’ to ‘I might be able to fix that,’ there was no further damage done.

I cut the neckline lower. I re-cut facing and interfacing pieces to match the new neckline. Can you believe it? I altered the pattern! All by myself. This is the fifth dress I have ever made in my life. It is the first time I have ever (purposely) altered a pattern. And you know what? It worked. The neckline is about an inch wider all round than it should have been, but it’s OK.

Green DressThat picture makes it look a bit baggy at the top, but I assure you it isn’t. It also seems to make it look like the sun came out a bit today. It didn’t. Also, remind me to iron any clothes I make before photographing them!

Green Dress 2I won’t show you the back. I’m still not great at putting in zips, and I had such fun with this one! Hours of entertainment. I must get a zip foot for my sewing machine. It might just help! And the skirt vent was pressed the wrong way.

Seeing as I had the sewing machine out, I decided to finish off this:

Crochet Hook HolderDo you remember this? I started it about a year and a half ago. I got the outside made, and the fabric for the inside bought, then I put it away.

Today, finally, I finished it. I did realise this afternoon that I hadn’t bought the necessary ribbon to complete it, but a quick rummage in the garage turned up a couple of reels. I had a choice of apple green, shiny, sheer ribbon or shocking pink velvet. I went for the green, which, while not perfect, went with the inside quite well.

Crochet Hook Holder InsideNow I just need to find all the crochet hooks which are scattered in random places around the house.

Advertisements

About planetcoops

Living a busy family life in a beautiful place with a hundred and one things to be achieved.
This entry was posted in Crafts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Sewing Progress

  1. Laura says:

    Yes, a zipper foot will help!!! It will make a huge difference!
    The dress looks great…thank goodness for big sheets of plastic!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s